Tuesday 3 December 2013

A floral feeling


Around the middle of the year I acknowledged a 'feeling' that I had spent the best part of eight or nine years dismissing. The feeling that I might like to be a florist. When I was around 16 years old I thought that I'd really like to be a florist. That was, if I didn't adore school and learning, and wasn't planning on pursuing a university degree and a career in...something. But those things, were in fact, my biggest priorities. I loved history and literature. I was a diligent student. And I know this because 'diligence' was a word that was used frequently by my teachers on my report cards. And so, floristry was well and truly buried. Floristry was a career path for girls who dropped out of school mid-way through. Not for me. I had a university degree to obtain in...something.

I did get that university degree (and it wasn't a fun, or fast ride). But it meant nothing to me. It still doesn't. University was quite simply put: a disappointment. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, what jobs I might be best suited to, and what career path I was capable of tackling. I have a degree in something. Something I struggle to articulate when faced with the questions, "what is anthropology?" and, "what can you do with a degree in anthropology?".

Floristry. That's what I've decided to do with my degree in anthropology. And in September I took the first step. I started attending floristry school.

So, read along as I document my progress from floristry student to florist extraordinaire! I hope to grow Moss & Vine from simply a student's blog spot, to extra-curricular creative outlet, to flourishing business that will pay my bills and leave a little left over to fill my house with ranunculus every Spring.

Warm regards from a ranunculus lover,

Kate  xx



No comments:

Post a Comment