Thursday 18 September 2014

Spring in full swing

Jonquils, daffodils, narcissus. What's the difference?
Read all about them here.


Whatever name you know them by, they all smell D-I-V-I-N-E.
These ones are jonquils. The daffodil's little sister, if you like. I'm getting high on their scent as they are currently hanging out on my bedside table. In the past when I've had jonquils by the bed, the scent has been so encompassing that it was the first thing my senses recognised as I stirred from sleep in the morning. I had to lift my head and look around to remind myself where the smell was coming from. 


I love them. And they're currently available in abundance. If you are taking jonquils or daffodils home, here are the things that you should know.

When you get your flowers home, recut the stems to allow them to take up fresh water efficiently. Never combine freshly cut daffodils and jonquils with other cut flowers as they emit a sap that is toxic to other flowers when newly cut. It is possible to arrange daffodils and jonquils with other flowers, just put them alone in water for 24 hours before arranging with other cut flowers. Don't re-cut the stems though. 

Daffodils mean: chivalry // high regard // faith // honesty // forgiveness // rebirth and new beginnings // immortality. 
A single daffodil is unlucky, meaning unrequited love or the foretelling of a misfortune. Medieval Europeans believed a single, drooping daffodil was an omen of death. A bunch of daffodils is a positive gesture, meaning forgiveness or appreciation of someones honesty. 
 Prince Charles is paid one daffodil annually in return for the rent of all the islands in the Isles of Scilly.
(Gray, The Secret Language of Flowers)


I'll have my nose in these all evening long.

K xx

Styling and Photographs by Moss & Vine





No comments:

Post a Comment